Poll Dorset Stud
The Bundara Downs Poll Dorset stud was founded in 2002 with the purchase of stock from renowned studs within Australia. The initial breeding program was based on artificial insemination allowing us to source these elite genetics from influential studs. The Poll Dorset stud was established to allow us to diversify and cater for different production systems utilised by clients in different regions. We evaluate our stock utilising visual assessments as well as Lambplan, weighing of lambs at birth and weaning, measuring muscle and fat depth at 9 months. This diversity has enabled us to breed to suit a wide range of markets within the prime lamb industry.
The Poll Dorset stud produces rams with exceptional muscle while maintaining sound structure and conformation. We target sires with clean points to reduce grass seed issues as well as a smooth modern shoulder to maintain the lambing ease. In 2006 Bundara Downs joined into the Meat Elite group to identify, develop and utilise superior genetics.
- Sound conformation and well structured rams.
- Clean points to reduce grass seed issues.
- Smooth modern shoulders for lambing ease.
- Excellent muscling evident visually and through scanning.
- High growth rates to promote earlier maturity.
- Balanced fat coverage to suit varied production systems.